Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Best Horror Stories Ever. Part 1. Because there are a lot.

Am I applying for new jobs? Am I writing something beautiful and magnificent? Nah. Though I have three stories in progress (i.e. I have three stories with beginnings and nothing else). And I have four large ceiling to floor windows (old house = wonderfulness) with much to watch. And I have a book (The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror - Eighth Collection, 1994 I think). And I've run across a few horror stories in here that I've read before, and this got me thinking. There are some stories that I reread every time I come across them, some stories that I'll pull a collection off of my bookshelf, and ignore the other stories just to reread the one. This of course doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the other stories, just that I don't feel the drive to reread them over and over again. So I've decided to start listing some of my all time favorite horror stories (and only horror stories. To do more would take a while).

In no order whatsoever:

1.) "The Box" By Jack Ketchum: Little boy sees the inside of a man's box on a subway and things began to happen. I'm partial to Ketchum, and this story is horrific without any source of actual horror. It's puzzling and bizarre, and I love it.

2.) "Snow, Glass, Apples" by Neil Gaiman: A retelling of Snow White. I adore fairy retellings, and this is one of the darkest and most elegantly written ones.

3.) "Mr. Sly Stops for a Cup of Joe" by Scott Emerson Bull: I love stories where the distinction between the good and bad guys gets thin or reverses completely (see Joyce Carol Oates). And this story manages to be both fun and disturbing at the same time.

4.) "The Chill Clutch of the Unseen" by Kim Newman: This story addresses what happens to those old-school monsters, as well as the good guys, as they age. And the ending makes me smile.

5.) "They" by David Morrell: I love this story so much I had to stop to read it while listing it. It's about wolves. And one little girl who encounters them.

Listing these stories just makes me think of all the ones I've yet to list. Consider this a sampling, and nothing more.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have a list of strictly horror stories. I have a list that may include horror. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list.

    I'd add King's "The Man in the Black Suit" and maybe Barker's "In the Hills, the Cities".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that story by King but it wasn't one of my all time favorites of his. I haven't read the Barker story. I think my favorite one of Barker's that I've read was "Rawhead Rex." A little more uh visual than I usually go for, but I like it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Box is one of my favourites too; very, very chilling. All the more so for there being no real explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. Snow, Glass, Apples is made of awesome. Think I'll go reread it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie and LR - you both have excellent taste :^) haha

    ReplyDelete