Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Best Horror Stories Ever. Part 2. And by best, I mean my favorites. Just so, you know, we're clear.

Five more intriguing tales you should read... (could I write book jackets or what? ha!)

These are the stories I reread to death (yup could totally write book jackets)

Anyway

6.)"The Crawl" by Stephen Laws. A couple is pursued by an evil scarecrow looking monster. Much creepier than my description makes it seem. Not that you know, it wouldn't be creepy if a scarecrow monster came to life and attacked me.

7.)"Coppola's Dracula" by Kim Newman. How Coppola should have made Dracula. Basically. With vamps. And twists. And the awesome.

8.)"The Luxury of Harm" by Christopher Fowler. A tale about lovers of horror.

9.) "The Cask of Amontillado" by Poe. My favorite Poe. Hm. Okay, one of my favorite Poes. Never said this would be a modern list.

10.) "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire" by Neil Gaiman. Because it's why we write what we write.

I have been re-employed as a puppy wrangler and am happy. Now go read and write peoples.

9 comments:

  1. Only read the Gaiman and Poe listings. Keep this list coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness that's one hell of a title from Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one hell of a story as well Cate :^)

    Barry- I most likely will, in my quest of procrasination

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit, I’ve only read the Poe story here, but what a story it is. One of the best.

    A puppy wrangler? Sounds like a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poe's ending is beautiful and wonderous and more than I could ever write. I love it too LR

    puppy wrangling is challenging but fantastic indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love teaching "Amontillado". So much irony...you know what's coming in the end, but oh the getting there. It's also a little more accessible for my students 'cause there's so much dialogue.

    Love the lists!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaron, I don't remember ever being taught Amontillado, but I know I would have loved it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good list. the only one I have read is Poe, but I will be curious to find the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the puppy wrangling!

    I love Kim Newman. Anno Dracula would SOOO be on my list of favorite books evah, although I wasn't as crazy about Bloody Red Baron.

    ReplyDelete