Monday, July 13, 2009

Best Horror Stories Ever. Part 3. The Stephen King Question.

Where the hell is Stephen King on these lists the reader might ask (or Lovecraft, Blackwood, James, Matheson, etc. the bigwigs. the head guys. the... major cheeses). And the answer is... well okay I don't have an answer. There very well could be a blog and list devoted to some of the writers I mentioned in the future. There very well may not.

Here are a few more of the stories I read over and over again. Only this and nothing more.

Oh and if you haven't guessed already, the writing is still moving... slowly :^)


11.) "The King', in Yellow" by Brian Keene: This story advises that one should not follow the recommendations of homeless men. Though in the twisted way of horror, I bet if I looked hard enough, I could find a story that recommends the oppposite. Hm a challenge.

12.) "A Trick of the Dark" by Tina Rath: One of my favorite vampire stories. Subtle. Short. Like this write up.

13.) "The Candle in the Skull" by Basil Copper: A story for Halloween. And one that recommends you don't trust children

14.) "Dark Wings" by Phyllis Eisenstein: This story has the type of ending that most of us (and by us, I mean me) can only dream about. The type of ending that takes your trust and uses it against you.

15.) "Closing Time" by Neil Gaiman: I know I love this story because how often I try to take elements of Gaiman's ending into my own work. An ending, that by the way, I'm not sure I even understand (please free feel to explain it to me. Where is Neil Gaiman when you need him?). Yet dsspite the confusion, here it is, number 15.

16.)"The Veldt" by Bradbury: Because it was open in front of me. And because you should never trust children. I may have mentioned it before. But it's a lesson worth knowing.

Current watching: True Blood. My fav TV show.
Current reading: Let the Right One In. Have I mentioned that you shouldn't trust children?

Apparently Vamp is the word.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've put a lot of "lesser knowns" on the list. Anybody can recommend King or Lovecraft, but do they really love them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha children are freaks.


    i tried to watch True Blood... didn't work out for me. it was the accents -- and the fact that someone swore every ten seconds. i'm more of a joss whedon type of fan. then again, maybe i'm just a pansy. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron- I try to help the lesser knowns. but then i realized looking back that every single section has one story by Gaiman... well they are the stories i reread a lot anyway :^)

    and love is a strong word. respect is a much easier one for me when it comes to the greats.

    Brigitte- hello! thanks for stopping by.

    i love the true blood. but it wasn't an instant love. the first time i watched it i was a little lost. My thoughts ran along the lines of "What's with the accents? It's daylight, so they're not vampires. Where are the vampires? They're not even talking about vampires they're talking about pot."
    it is an acquired taste perhaps :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list. Keep em coming. My to buy list just keeps getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one of those I've read is The Veldt, and I agree--never trust children! I read that story in sixth grade, incidentally, and loved it to a really frightening degree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jamie - you can count on it

    kc- interesting you already knew not to trust children when you were a child (12 child right? close enough.) very smart :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn right children are not to be trusted!

    no one will ever know
    whether children are monsters
    or monsters are children

    -Henry James

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice quoting jameson :^)
    and so true

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to hold my hand up here and say the only one I’ve read is The Veldt. Looks like I’ve got some reading to do.

    Let the Right One In is on my (ever expanding) reading list too. Same with his new novel – Handling the Undead. Looking forward to both of those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LR -i need to look for the new one. i finished Let the Right One In and it wasn't half bad.

    Thanks Brendan :^)

    ReplyDelete