Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Books of July! And yes. yes I am the worst blogger ever.

In the last week I have packed, moved, and resettled into my new home. I plead guilty in the case of non posting. I was busy :^)

Anyway, even though there are still two days left in the month, I thought I would talk about the books I read in July. Last month I guessed at how many books I read in June, and the comments got me thinking - why not keep track of what I read? For a month anyway. So here they are:

JULY BOOKS - THE GOOD, THE BETTER, AND THE REST

The Good
These are the books I enjoyed, even if they didn't really completely win my heart.
Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin
The Cave by Anne McLean Matthews
To the Power of Three by Laura Lippman
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and other stories by Richard Matheson

*update* apparently I'm not so good with lists after all. I forgot to add Angela Carter's The Magic Toyshop to The Good.*

The Better
These books wowed me into silence and awe. Most wonderous and magical, and should be read immediately!

Into the Woods
and The Likeness, both by Tana French
These two are mysteries with a touch (but a very light touch) of the supernatural. Very beautiful, very moving, and very readable.

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
This one has already been hyped up, so I'll keep it short: it won't go down as the best book I've ever read, but I will reread it again. Child Vampires are not happy creatures.

And the Rest

The books I didn't enjoy are not on this list, simply because I don't finish the ones I don't like. If I can't get into a book, I return it to the library. So while the following books did not blow me away - I did finish each and every one. These were not bad books. They just were not my favorites.
Come Closer by Sara Grann
Down River by John Hart
The Sculptress by Minette Walters
Blue Heaven by CJ Box
Bones by Jan Burke


So that is my list! Enjoy and write well

7 comments:

  1. Have just been over to check out Let The Right One In at Amazon and have added it to my To Buy list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man...I read one book and a pile of shorts and I thought I was doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle- yay! I do enjoy creepy vampire books (cough not lame sparkingly ones cough twilight dig).

    Aaron - yes, but see, I'm pretty sure you manage to get a lot more writing done then I do. I need to stop reading in order to write more, but sometimes when I'm tired, it's just so much easier to read the words of others :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good pile of reading in a month. (research as I call it around my house, something I don't do near enough of lately). Look forward to what you pick next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving is the perfect excuse not to blog. Although I'm awed that you managed to read so much.

    I very often don't finish books I don't like too (I'll get through chapter three and if I still don't like it, I give up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You fared a lot better than me - I managed 3 books this month and they were all pretty awful, so I’m not going to name and shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie - i am wonderful at research then.

    KC - i tend to do that too. sometimes it comes back to bite me, bc there are some books (a la faulkner) that take much time and work to get into to, but i figure theres too many books to spend time reading ones that don't interest me

    LR - i try not to name and shame, which is why I won't list the books I couldn't finish :^)

    ReplyDelete