Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Books of October

The Good, The Best, and all The Rest


The Good
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain
Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain
Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain (sense a pattern?)
Creepers by David Morrell
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Best Book of October:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Recommended by one Carrie Harris, this well read YA book is about a death game occuring in a futuristic setting. I read it and then gave it to my roommate who also devoured it. I don't remember books being this violent when I was a YA, but I like it!

Runner-ups:

Speak
by Laurie Halse Andersen. The second book I've read by this author, I was impressed by how the author handled serious subject matter (rape) in a creative and innovative manner.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. A modern mystery with a deeply scarred heroine and a gothic tint to it, and I loved it.


The Rest

The Rest are not "bad" books. The books I do not like or wish to read, I stop reading. Period (these books are never listed by the way). And while the books below may not have hit me in just the right way, I did take the time to finish each and every one of them.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry
A Good and Happy Child by Justin Evans

I'm always open to book suggestions for the future (though with Nano starting tomorrow, I don't think November holds many books for me).

In Honor of Halloween, I give you Jack! (The Pumpkin King)



Happy Halloween!

7 comments:

  1. Speak is a perrenial favorite with the girls at school. I'll have to check out the others. All the best for NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's the song that's been in my head all afternoon! Fortunately I love it. :)

    Happy Halloween, and good luck to both of us for Nano!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron - good to know i'm still young at heart :^)

    KC - I love it too. and i'll need the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson so I'll have to pick up Speak, whereas Eyes Like Stars is one of my favourite books of 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief you read a lot of books. Good luck NaNoing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cate - thanks for the recommedation! i love book rec.

    jamie - i get twitchy if i don't have a book in mid read somewhere. and good luck yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at the Chelsea Cain books at the bookstore the other day. Might have to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete