Monday, October 5, 2009

The Books of September

Never found missing library book. Have also yet to pay library fines...

Here's a list of new books read in September

The Good

The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror by editor Stephen Jones - volumes 7,13, and 19
*worst list keeper ever. Forgot Cabal by Clive Barker*

The Best

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan: this post-apocalyptic YA book made my eyes moist up a bit... must have been my contacts. I honestly didn't know a Young Adult book could be like this, and reading this book helped me open up to the YA market.

Runner-ups:

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Andersen. Another wonderful YA book, this one about anorexia. It takes a look at anorexia in teenage girls without reading like a lifetime movie. It's chilling, surreal, eerily beautiful, and it is neither cheesy or overly sentimental.

Sandman Slim
by Richard Kadrey: This book kicked ass. End of story.

The Rest

Faithless by Karin Slaughter


Have started outlining and making lists for Nano. Me writing 50,000 words of shorts without prepartion would be the opposite of good. You can buddy me by clicking on my awesome Nano Badge

Good writing peoples!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved both Wintergirls and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. You have to try Lisa Mantchev's 'Eyes Like Stars'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great recommendations - thanks! YA books tend to have fresh, independent voices...voices that often get lost in the "forest" of commercial fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding more to my perspective book buying list. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Wintergirls at home to read, I'm sure I do. Have friended you on Nano.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams' Is one of the most funniest books ever written, it is far better than the film made of the book, but it did make me laugh too.

    Thank you for your list of books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cate - I've requested it from the library :^)

    Aaron- the "forest" filled with zombies...

    Jamie- you're welcome, I think. haha.

    Danielle- Nanoooooo

    Jarmara - I liked Hitchhiker's guide, but I'm not able to get into the second book/part about the Restaurant so much. I get lost sometimes. I mainly like all the little side stories the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff, as always, Samantha! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rock on! So glad that you've discovered the awesomeness that is YA. You could also try The Hunger Games, if no one has recommended it yet.

    So very ridiculously good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to add some of those books to my list (especially The Forest of Hands and Teeth, since everyone keeps saying it's awesome, except the people who say it sucks) but I just added ten more books to my to-be-read pile. Need more time in the days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. brendan - you're welcome as always

    carrie - well i always knew that at least one YA book (written by a girl who rhymes with parris) wouldn't disappoint. can't wait for the release!

    kc - when you have sad word counts, the time problem works itself out. i've told myself that come nano, i don't get to read the way i'm doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read ANY of these. My gift to myself this holiday season is to frequent the library more. I have it built into my schedule and everything. Mmm.

    Let me get a pen and write these down. Thanks for the suggestions!

    -Mercedes

    ReplyDelete